Who are You Attracted to & Why?
Ever wonder why you’re attracted to the people that you are… or why you choose to emulate certain ‘celebrities’ way of being?
It’s because, consciously or unconsciously, you wish to demonstrate or cultivate the qualities you see in them within yourself… or these are qualities that are already emerging within you.
It’s true! The reason you choose the company of the people that you do is because they reflect back to you certain ideals and ways of being that you value.
Therefore, if you want to know what you value in this moment, take a look at the friends you spend time with, the media, sports, or other celebrity personalities you follow, the books you read, and who you otherwise let influence your thought stream.
For example, ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be some combination of a psychologist, a minister and a talk show host, so it will probably come as no surprise when I share with you the people I have been most attracted to. However, until I actually walked myself through this exercise, I hadn’t really taken inventory of the many reasons WHY I was attracted to them.
So, to help inspire you to try the same exercise in self-discovery, I thought I would share the top three people who influence me most consistently… (and over a time span of more than 20 years each, I might add).
These people are:
- Oprah Winfrey (Talk Show Host) – For being likable, relatable, inspirational, and a little nurturing
- Dr. Michael Beckwith (Founding Minister of Agape International Spiritual Center) – For showing me love, possibility, safety, spirituality and peace
- Tony Robbins (Success & Life Coach) – For being powerful, confident, successful – and because I’m a tall girl – I rather like that he uses his size to influence people.
Though each has many more qualities that I resonate with, these were the first to flow from me freely. So, what I was able to ascertain from looking at these people and their qualities is that what is emerging through me is the desire to express myself as:
- likable / relatable
- spiritual / inspirational
- successful / confident
- loving / powerful
While these may or may not fit on your current wish list of ‘who you want to be’, you can see where going through this little exercise may help you gain clarity as to the person you want to be.
Here’s how you can figure this out for yourself:
- Make a list of the top 3 to 5 people who influence you
- Next to each person, list 3 to 5 characteristics that you admire about them or are attracted to
- Review the list of qualities that each demonstrates, noting where there is some overlapping between the people.
- When you get a clear idea of the qualities that make you attracted to these particular people, you will discover what it is that you’re trying to cultivate within your yourself.